Security Deposit Return Services
- You must apply first. Apply here.
- If your application is accepted, it must be verified.
- There is a one-time Verification Fee of $250.00.
- Verification protects against fraudulent and/or frivolous use of our services.
Turnaround time: 3 to 21 days.
‘Express Return’ is only for applicants whose Security Deposit was taken unlawfully and without notification.
To qualify for ‘Express Return’, you must meet ONE of the following criteria:
- The landlord CLEARLY did not lawfully notify you on time, or at all, and did not return all or some of your security deposit.
- The landlord has completely cut off all communication with you and never lawfully notified you regarding your security deposit at all.
- The landlord did not lawfully hold/deposit your security deposit as required by the laws of your state, i.e., commingled funds.
Turnaround time: 10 to 120 days.
‘Extended Return’ is for applicants whose Security Deposit may have been taken unlawfully or unfairly, but there is no time limit/deadline, or funds violation.
To qualify for ‘Extended Return’, you must meet ONE of the following criteria:
- You have evidence that your landlord made false claims against your security deposit and withheld some or all of your deposit.
- You have evidence that your landlord violated state statute and as a result, withheld all or a portion of your deposit.
- If the landlord acted in bad faith in retaining the deposit (by deliberately and unjustifiably withholding the deposit despite repeated requests to follow the law
If you are not sure what return program you are qualified for, be sure to contact us for assistance. Each case is reviewed on a case by case basis. Our staff will make the final determination if your case qualifies for any of our assistance programs. Check your state’s law using the ‘STATES’ link on our website’s main menu above.
Security Deposit Watchdog is here to help you and your family get your deposit money back. Thanks to donations, grants, and volunteers, our rates are the lowest you will find anywhere in the United States.
Don’t go it alone, our organization is here to help you.
Our organization cooperates with state, federal and local agencies, including law enforcement, courts, HUD, Consumer Protection Agencies, Department of Consumer Affairs, Legal Aid, Tenant Associations, and other state and National Watchdog Advocacy groups similar to ours.